Friday, January 20, 2017

Yellow Squash Frittata with Beef & Onions

I'm crazy about frittatas!  Once you figure out the basics for making one, you don't need a recipe, you can just throw one together with whatever you have on hand.  I had some tender little yellow squash to work with today, and I love squash and eggs together. 

Here it is, just waiting for me to cut into it!


The Step by Step:
One medium onion, into the skillet which had a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in it. 


Once the onions were getting some good color on them, I added the diced up yellow squash and just a little more olive oil.


Then I added salt & pepper and cooked over medium heat until the squash was tender.

This is the end result, so I just set this to the side while I moved on to cooking the meat.

I browned a little over half a pound of lean ground beef with salt, pepper, and a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce until it had some nice color on it, little crunchy bits here and there...removed it from the skillet and set it aside.

I combined 5 large eggs, 1 cup of heavy whipping cream, and 1/2 cup milk and whisked it together well.


Next, I added about a cup of grated cheese, salt & pepper, and some garlic powder and Italian seasoning.


I coated my 10 inch cast iron skillet with olive oil (this isn't the same skillet I cooked the onions, squash, and meat in), and, after mixing the veggies and meat together, poured them into the skillet and spread evenly.

With the burner on medium high heat, I poured the egg/milk mixture over the top.

Then I sprinkled it with a little more salt and pepper and some smoky paprika.  It may seem like I'm over-salting this, but I'm not.  This dish needs salt at every stage of cooking.  I cooked this until the edges just began to puff ever so slightly and started to appear drier. Then, I moved it to the oven to finish cooking.

After 10 minutes of baking in a preheated 400 degree oven, I sprinkled a mixture of grated pepper jack and Colby jack cheeses all around the outer edge and returned it to the oven.  I lowered the temp to 350 and baked an additional 8 - 10 minutes, until the edges were nice and puffy and the center was set, with minimal "jiggle".


After allowing it cool in the skillet for about 5 minutes....

it was time to eat!


This was baked in a 10 inch skillet.  I'd say we did a pretty good job of almost polishing the whole thing off, considering there are only 2 of us!  We both salted it again on our plates after tasting.  It just needed a little more salt, but it was mighty good!

The options for what to throw into a frittata are practically endless.  The trick to a good frittata is to get a good liquid to solids ratio so it cooks evenly and the center sets before the bottom overcooks.  The egg part will become rubbery and unappetizing if it cooks for too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment