Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Burrito Day!

I recently restocked my freezer with breakfast and lunch burritos for my husband and posted a picture of them on Facebook.  My son saw the post and proceeded to ask me where HIS were, so today I'm back at it for him. 

These things are so simple, really.... but honestly, if you're making 40 of them like I am today, it's pretty darn time consuming.  Having said that, I never regret having done it after the fact.  We put a package of three into the fridge, and my husband grabs one and off to work he goes, a happy guy.

Here's what I use to make 40 at a time, just in case somebody out there wants to do this.  I have no idea how likely that is, but anyway.... here we go...

6 pounds lean hamburger meat
5 pounds finely grated Mexican blend cheese
40 burrito size flour tortillas 
6 packages of taco or burrito seasoning mix (1 for each pound of meat)

I get all of the above ingredients at my local food warehouse (Sam's / Costco) The burrito size tortillas come 40 to a package, which is perfect, and they're Mission brand, which is what I prefer.
It takes 1 of the large family size hamburger meat... just find one that's close to 6 pounds.  The Taco seasoning packets even come 12 packets to a box and lasts me 2 "burrito-making" events.  The cheese is available in a 5 pound bag.  It's an easy one-stop shop for me to get everything I need in one place.

Now, I know not everybody out there wants plain ole meat and cheese burritos, but my son gets them just how he wants them!  You can add all sorts of things to them, like green chilies, salsa, pepper jack cheese, onions, jalapeno peppers.... the list could go on and on.  Make 'em how you want!

  Here's what's headed for the freezer!

 Start out by browning all the meat.  I do this in a big pot, in two batches.

 After browning each pot of the meat, I drain it really well.


Here's the other stuff !

After the meat's all browned, back to the big pot it goes...


and the taco seasoning all gets dumped right on top.


I don't add as much water as the packet calls for because I don't want the filling to be too wet.
The brand I used called for 3/4 cup of water per packet, and I used a little less than 1/2 cup.



Time to start the assembly line!  I like to make 3 at a time, since that's how many fit across my board.
I'm generous with the amounts of meat and cheese, I mean... who likes a wimpy burrito?

I start with a layer of cheese on the bottom, then add the meat...


then top the meat with more cheese.  Is there such a thing as too much cheese?

Time to roll this baby up.  Here's how I do it.  Fold the two sides in first,



 The turn the front side up....

and roll away.

Keep it "seam side" down to wrap it.

I just wrap them in plastic wrap.

Plastic wrap is grouchy stuff to work with sometimes.  We don't always get along, so to minimize my frustration level, I just pull off all the sheets I will need at one time.  That means they're all over any empty space in the kitch I can find to put them.

Once they are all wrapped up, I label quart size zip lock bags and 3 will fit to a bag.

 Done!!

Here's what can happen sometimes... a blow out!! This one will go to the fridge and my husband will gladly gobble it up at some point.

Out of all the ingredients purchased for these burritos, this is all I have left... one quart size bag of the grated cheese.  I won't have a problem using this up.

One of these days... but not THIS day... I'll figure out what the actual expense per burrito is. Well, maybe I will.  Someday.... maybe.... or not.

2 comments:

  1. Dear "Spoon Lady",
    Now that I have what seems to be an easy, delicious meal that goes from freezer to lunch bag, how do I heat them? Thaw and microwave but for how long?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put the burritos three to a quart size ziplock bag to freeze them. I then take a bag out of the freezer and place it in the refrigerator to allow them to thaw. From there, I take one at a time and microwave it, wrapped in plastic wrap with a vent hole cut into it, at 50% power for 2 minutes then at 80% for another minute or so. Microwaves vary, so you may have to experiment. They can also be wrapped in foil and heated in the oven, at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes, from the thawed state. Hope this helps!

      Delete