Sunday, January 22, 2017

Skillet Apple Pie Biscuits

I'm on a cast iron skillet cooking kick!  Here's a recipe I found that looked like something my husband would really like, so I decided to give it a go.  It looks so good, I just couldn't see how it could possibly not be!

Here it is, right out of the oven, laughing at the two ding-a-lings standing over it, fork in hand, drooling and waiting for it to cool enough so they don't burn their mouths...

To get started, I melted a stick of butter and mixed brown sugar, cinnamon, & nutmeg together in separate containers.

Then I brushed some of the melted butter all around the bottom and sides of my 10 inch skillet.

I went with these biscuits, but I think any type/brand would work just as well.

It's important to get premium pie filling, it has much less liquid in it, more apples.


I put the pie filling into a bowl and cut it up into smaller pieces.

Then dipped each biscuit into the butter to coat the entire surface - this is a messy step, but it's kinda fun.

Then I sprinkled some of the brown sugar mixture on the top and sides of each biscuit before putting into the skillet.

Next, I arranged the apples over the top of the biscuits,

Poured the remaining melted butter over the apples,

Sprinkled the remaining  brown sugar mixture over the top, and baked.

While it was baking I made the simple glaze that goes on after it comes out of the oven.

Done!!

I drizzled the glaze on immediately after removing it from the oven.

I asked my husband to rate it, between 1 - 5 stars.  He gave it a 4.5.  Why? He said he'd like it better if the biscuits weren't so big and "biscuity".  Sooo.... next time I make it, I'll quarter the biscuits instead of placing them in the skillet whole and I think that will solve the problem.

Here's what I did differently:  I used canned biscuits,  I didn't use the optional nuts, I added a little cinnamon to my glaze, and used heavy cream instead of half & half or milk as called for to make the glaze.  I don't think it would be necessary to double the glaze recipe, but I guess if you're really big on the glaze part, it could make you happy!

Here's the original recipe, which comes from Melissa Sperka at melissassouthernkitchen.com

Skillet Apple Pie Biscuits
Author: Melissa Sperka
Serves: 8


Ingredients

·         8 frozen buttermilk biscuits, thawed or homemade buttermilk biscuits
·         1 [21 oz.] can premium apple pie filling
·         1 stick [1/2 cup] butter, melted
·         ½ cup light brown sugar
·         1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
·         1 tsp pure vanilla extract
·         ⅛ tsp nutmeg
·         ¼ cup walnut or pecan pieces [optional]

·         Glaze: [double if desired]
·         ½ cup powdered sugar
·         2-3 Tbsp cream or half & half or 1-2 tsp whole milk

Instructions

1.     Preheat the oven to 375°F. Melt the butter, and brush on all sides of a 10-inch cast iron skillet.
2.     In a bowl, mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg until blended.
3.     Dip each biscuit in the butter, and sprinkle all sides with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Arrange side by side in the skillet.
4.     Cut the apples in the pie filling into smaller pieces, and mix in 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla. Arrange over the biscuits.
5.     Pour the remaining butter over all and sprinkle the remaining cinnamon-sugar on top.
6.     Bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden and puffy.
7.     Mix together the ingredients for the glaze. Drizzle on top.
8.     Serve hot.




No comments:

Post a Comment