Monday, January 16, 2017

Quickie Veggie Soup


Sometimes I don't have everything I need to cook what I want.  This was one of those times.
Normally, this soup would be loaded with nice fresh veggies, but not today.
Today, I want soup and I want it now.  I'm NOT going to the store.
Here's what I came up with, and it went together very quickly, but more importantly, it's good!


Here's what I used:

1 bag frozen mixed veggies
1 medium onion, diced
1 can tomato sauce
1 can organic fire roasted diced tomatoes
2 packets of Lipton Beefy Onion soup mix
1 large container of 33% less sodium chicken broth (could have used beef, didn't have / didn't matter)
2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Italian herb
3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
Salt & pepper




I put a little olive oil, maybe 2 tablespoons, into the bottom of my soup pot and added the onion and frozen veggies in and cooked them on medium heat until they were defrosted and the onion was softened a bit.

Then I added all the spices and the Worcestershire, stirred it up, added the can of tomatoes, the soup mix, the tomato sauce, and the broth and brought it to a boil.  I then reduced it to a low simmer and allowed it to cook, uncovered, for about 45 minutes.  You can just cook it until the veggies get to the point of tenderness you prefer.

It was quick and easy, and it's making me happy today, served with a slice of fresh homemade bread.
I love raiding the pantry and freezer to see what I can come up with to throw a quick meal together!

No comments:

Post a Comment