Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Let There Be Cheesecake !


It must have been around 1985 when I first attempted to bake a "real" cheesecake - you know... the kind you actually have to bake in the oven rather than the kind you mix up in a bowl with whipped topping and stick into a store-bought graham cracker crust and refrigerate. 
I only dared to attempt it because I was blessed enough to have obtained the recipe for Sam Litzenberg's World Famous Cheesecake.  For years and years (don't ask how many) I made Sam's cheesecake and basked in the compliments bestowed upon me by all who had the pleasure of eating it.  Oh, the fresh strawberry, as seen here, was my favorite, but I have also made Sam's other versions, which he referred to as "romancing the cheesecake", and changing the toppings as specifically directed in his recipe.  I never once dared to cook outside the Sam lines and change the recipe in any way, fearing it may result in something less than perfect.

UNTIL... that is, recently!  I have now ventured into uncharted cheesecake territory and am happily experimenting with new flavors and textures.  I'm so glad I am.  I've really been missing out, but not anymore.  I'm on a quest to make as many awesome cheesecakes as I can think up! 
I'm using good ole Sam's basic recipe as a starting point for all of these, (thanks, Sam) and no doubt some of them will be failures, but so far (knock on cream cheese) they have all been keepers that I will certainly make again!  Here are pictures of a few of my "so fars".

Heavenly Espresso
 So, so good. I could have eaten the entire thing all by myself (or died trying), but thankfully, I had friends willing to take on the task of taste-testing.

This one is Key Lime, and while it was really delicious, I've already decided it can be improved with a drizzle on top of Key lime curd mixed with a little lime juice to thin it a bit.  It would also make for a nicer presentation.  Oh, and add more pucker power!


Butterfinger Lovers

Yeah, what more need I say.  This is just a slice of big ole happy on a plate.  Gimme a fork, already!

Stay tuned.... up next, I'm attempting a Cinnamon Explosion!



No comments:

Post a Comment