Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Smoked Chicken, Bacon, and Spinach Lasagna Roll-ups




I really like lasagna roll-ups.  Sometimes I use traditional lasagna ingredients, but I enjoy trying different flavor profiles and coming up with new combinations I like.  Today, it's all about what I happen to have on hand, which is so often the case when I make my way to the kitchen to prepare dinner if I don't have something pre-planned.

I didn't do any measuring as I put this together, but can easily approximate amounts.  This recipe will make 6 roll-ups.

Before you begin to prepare the fillings and sauce, cook 6 lasagna noodles per package directions, but only for 8 minutes.  Once they finish cooking, lay them between two layers of paper towels and press gently to dry them.  



Filling & Sauce:

Combine in a large bowl and whisk together well:
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup heavy cream
Salt & pepper, to your taste

Then remove 1/3 of it to separate smaller bowl and set aside for a moment.

Once the 1/3 has been removed, add 1/2 cup of whole milk and another 1/4 cup sour cream to the original sauce in the large bowl and whisk in well.  Set it aside and now add the following ingredients to the reserved 1/3 in the smaller bowl, which will become part of the filling:

1/2 cup chopped crispy bacon
1/2 cup finely chopped spinach, drained and pressed to remove as much liquid as possible
(you can use canned, fresh, or frozen spinach)

Mix well, set aside.

Additional filling ingredients:

6 slices mozzarella cheese, cut in half lengthwise
9 slices good quality deli style smoked chicken, sliced in half.

Assembly directions:

Spray a baking dish lightly with non-stick cooking spray and put about 1/4 cup of the original sauce from the larger bowl into the bottom and spread evenly.



Place 2 slices of cheese on each lasagna noodle.


Spoon about one sixth of the spinach/bacon filling over the cheese on each noodle, spread evenly.



Top with 3 slices of the smoked chicken.



Roll up and place in baking dish.



Place 1/4 of a slice of mozzarella on top of each roll.


Spoon remaining sauce over rolled up noodles and spread to cover.

Sprinkle a little Italian seasoning, black pepper, and smoky paprika over the top.



Bake at 350 degrees in a pre-heated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until hot and bubbly.

I served these with garlic bread toasted under the broiler, which was perfect for sopping the sauce! My original plan was to use thinly sliced rotisserie chicken and I was disappointed when I realized I had no more in my freezer, so I had to resort to plan B, which was the deli sliced version, but it worked out well and I'm sure the deli style made it easier to roll.


It's really good, and I'll be making it again sometime, probably with rotisserie chicken!









No comments:

Post a Comment