Saturday, December 2, 2017

Mixed Nut Brittle

I came across this recipe for a nut brittle today by "The Candy Man" of Savannah, Georgia. Their site is savannahcandy.com - looks like they have lots of yummy stuff there!  I actually found the recipe on a Paula Deen Pinterest board.  When I looked at the Candy Man's website, I couldn't find it posted there.

I didn't have all the types of nuts it called for, so I went with what I had on hand, which was almonds, pecans, and peanuts, and I roasted them before I started the process.  You have to focus when you make this stuff.... have everything ready in advance, and be aware of what your next step is at pretty much every moment!  You have to move fast!

The end result is well worth the effort.  This brittle is crunchy, not sticky at all, airy, and just downright delicious!  I'm so glad I tried it, I now have a new "keeper" for my recipe files!

Here's how mine looked:


Here's the recipe from Paula Deen:

Nutty Brittle From Savannah’s Candy Man

By Paula Deen
  • Difficulty: Expert
  • Prep time: 20 minutes
  • Cook time: 20 minutes
  • Servings: 20

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup almonds
  • 1/2 cup macadamias
  • 1/2 cup cashews
  • 1/2 cup pecans
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 1/4 cups light corn syrup
  • 2 1/2 cups sugar
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 3 teaspoons baking soda

Directions

In a nonstick saucepan, heat and stir sugar, corn syrup, water and salt over medium heat until sugar has dissolved. Over high heat, using a candy thermometer, cook sugar mixture to a hard crack stage (290 °F).
Add nuts and butter and cook to 300 °F stirring all the time to keep the nuts from burning. Pull off heat at 300 °F and stir in baking soda while beating to froth for 30 seconds.
Pour at once on to 4 well buttered 15 1/2 by 10 by 1-inch pans. Spread with a spatula as thin as possible. As the brittle cools you may use gloves to hand stretch the brittle which will give it a better eating quality.
This brittle has a great shelf life, if kept in airtight zip locks or containers, it will keep for 2 months.


Notes from me:
I didn't use a non-stick pan, I chose to use a heavy-bottomed one instead and I had no problems. The recipe doesn't specify what size pan  to use, but it needs to be a large one.  If you are not an experienced candy maker, I wouldn't attempt this without using a candy thermometer.  I know it says there are 20 servings, but c'mon.  No. Not at my house, anyway!!


No comments:

Post a Comment