Saturday, August 31, 2019

Crispy Low Carb Tortilla Thin Crust Pizza



Yippee!  I finally figured out how to make a crispy thin pizza crust that's low carb! It's not cauliflower, it's not floppy, and - most importantly, it tastes good!!

I went with a four meats version, but if you make this, use your favorite toppings.

To begin, I mixed all the meats together in a bowl.  I chose crispy bacon, browned crumbled sausage, Canadian bacon, and mini pepperoni.  Then I set it aside and went to the next step.

All mixed up!!

Next, I combined about 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, freshly ground black pepper and coarse ground salt into a small bowl and whisked it together well.

The paprika was just to add color, it's optional!
I decided to do this 2 pizzas at a time, so I used 2 ten inch cast iron skillets.  Brush one side of a tortilla with the olive oil mixture using a pastry brush.  Place it brushed side down into the skillet with the burner set to medium.  Allow the tortilla to brown on the bottom, then remove the skillet from the heat and flip the tortilla over in the skillet.  The sauce and toppings will be added to the side that has browned, keeping the tortilla in the skillet.

After brushing with olive oil mixture

I'm doing 2 at a time, one in each skillet. Both will go into the oven at the same time later...


Browned side brushed with olive oil mixture flipped, ready to add toppings.  

Remove the skillet to a hot pad or trivet to add sauce and toppings.

Pizza sauce spread over surface...

Next, shredded pizza blend cheese...

Then meat toppings and more cheese....

Into the oven on the middle rack to broil on high setting....

I used a convection broil to do this, but a regular oven broil will work just fine.  Watch to make sure you don't burn it.

Remove from oven and use a large spatula to place pizza on a wire rack for about 2 minutes to prevent moisture from softening the crispy crust...
I used Mission brand Carb Balance flour tortillas.  Each tortilla is 6 net carbs. I used Classico Traditional Pizza sauce.

Ready to slice and enjoy!!

I made 4 little pizzas.  The tortillas are the perfect size for a small, single pizza for one. Depending on how many you wish to make, just approximate the volume when it comes to preparing the toppings.  We like it pretty heavily loaded, as you can see in the picture above.  Even with that much topping, the crust held up very nicely and didn't flop.  

I know there are different brands of low carb tortillas available, but they are thinner, and I felt the Mission flour tortillas would hold up much better.  I don't think you would get the same great results with any other kind.

If you love thick crust pizza this isn't for you, but if you like pizza with a thin, crispy crust, it's a great option and also  anyone on a low carb or pre-diabetic diet can enjoy it!











No comments:

Post a Comment